Craig G. MarguliesMarch 6, 2018
Anna LandaMarch 7, 2018
Meghann A. Triplett is a partner with Margulies Faith LLP. Ms. Triplett focuses her practice on bankruptcy and restructuring matters and business and bankruptcy-related litigation. She represents trustees, debtors, committees, secured and unsecured creditors, asset purchasers, landlords, and equity holders in all aspects of bankruptcy reorganization, liquidation, adversary proceedings, out-of-court restructurings, mediations, and insolvency counseling. Ms. Triplett also has experience in out of court workouts on behalf of financially distressed individuals and corporations and represents assignees for the benefit of creditors.
Ms. Triplett graduated from Chapman University School of Law in Orange, California in 2009. Following graduation, Ms. Triplett served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Kathleen Thompson (Ret.), and Honorable Catherine Bauer (Ret.) of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. During her tenure with the court, Ms. Triplett was exposed to nearly all aspects of bankruptcy and reorganization law, including wide-ranging legal research, preparation of bench memoranda, orders, and opinions in advance of court rulings. Ms. Triplett has been selected as a “Rising Star” in Super Lawyers magazine for the years 2018-2020. She also serves as a pro bono consultant for the Cal Poly Low Income Taxpayer Clinic addressing tax-related issues in bankruptcies.
- Prevailed on summary judgment obtaining a $9,200,000 nondischargeable judgment against chapter 7 debtor.
- Obtained stipulated $6,000,000 nondischargeable judgment.
- Obtained order awarding both monetary and terminating sanctions, including striking debtor’s answer to two nondischargeability complaints and subsequently obtained default judgment against debtor in the sum of $9,500,000 and $2,400,000 in two related cases.
- Prevailed in $1 million dollar non-dischargeability action in favor of debtor client for nominal settlement.
- Prevailed on summary judgment to avoid $112,000 in preferential transfers to insider of corporate debtor within the one-year pre-petition period.
- Obtained order requiring debtor to turnover per capita income distributions received from California Indian Tribe’s net gaming revenues to chapter 7 trustee of more than $50,000 per month.
- Represented litigation trustee appointed under confirmed chapter 11 plan to review claims and disburse approximately $2.5 million in assets to classes of unsecured creditors.
- Represented trustee in sale of multiple parcels of residential and commercial real property, valued in the aggregate, in excess of $10 million.
- Represented trustee in obtaining settlement with first position secured lender and 100% carve out of lender’s secured claim for the benefit of the estate.
- Represented trustee in the negotiation and subsequent liquidation of debtor’s intellectual property rights and income residuals.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order against debtor in connection with significant undisclosed real and personal property assets which ultimately resulted in the recovery of more than $450,000.
- Represented various trustees and creditors in the prosecution and defense of avoidance actions (preferential and/or fraudulent transfer litigation) and creditor claims (analysis and prosecution of hundreds of claims).
Speaking Engagements & Professional Affiliations
- Moderator – “Bankruptcy and the Supreme Court: A Discussion of Cases, Past, Present, and Future,” Santa Barbara County Bar Association,” September 2018
- Co-Producer – “Who’s Your Client and What Should You Do? Navigating the Right Path When You Receive Competing Instructions or Instructions with Questionable Motives,” California Bankruptcy Forum 30th Annual Insolvency Conference, May 18-20, 2018
- Co-Producer – “Welcome to the Jungle – Tips for Navigating Your Way Through the Evidentiary Jungle That is Trial,” California Bankruptcy Forum 28th Annual Insolvency Conference, May 20-22, 2016
- Pro Bono Legal Consultant – Cal Poly Low Income Taxpayer Clinic, Orfalea College of Business, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
- President – for the San Luis Obispo Women Lawyers Association on the Board of Directors
- Member –International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Member – San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara County Bar Associations
- Member – American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member – California Women Lawyers Association
Chapter 7 and 11 Debtor Representation
Bankruptcy Trustee Representation
Bankruptcy & Commercial Litigation
Chapman University, School of Law
J.D. – 2009
University of Southern California, Los Angeles
B.A., Political Science – 2004