MARGULIES FAITH LLP
Mr. Margulies’ commitment to helping clients obtain practical solutions through creative, cost-effective strategies distinguishes his reputation as a bankruptcy and business law attorney.
CRAIG G. MARGULIES, a founding partner of Margulies Faith LLP and a recognized “Southern California Super Lawyer” award recipient in years 2009 – 2014, has “big-firm” specialized training and experience in business and consumer bankruptcy law. Mr. Margulies practices in Chapter 7, Chapter 11, and Chapter 13 bankruptcy cases. Mr. Margulies’ clients have included business and individual debtors and creditors, secured and unsecured creditors, Bankruptcy Trustees, Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committees, landlords, and municipalities.
Mr. Margulies worked for large, nationally recognized law firms and a highly specialized bankruptcy boutique firm before founding The Margulies Law Firm, APLC, in 2005, and the Margulies Faith L.L.P. in 2012.
His specialized experience includes practicing in all areas of bankruptcy and insolvency law; including individual and business bankruptcy cases, bankruptcy litigation, workouts, creditors’ rights, debt negotiation, Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors(ABCs), dispute resolution, state court litigation, and appellate work. Mr. Margulies has extensive knowledge in all aspects of a bankruptcy law practice (both in large and boutique law firms), including reorganizations, liquidations, law and motion work, asset sales and purchases, Automatic Stay issues, avoidance litigation, creditor representation, and other transactional and insolvency related matters.
Mr. Margulies received his Bachelor of Arts degree in business/economics from the University of California at Santa Barbara, graduating cum laude in 1992. In 1996, he obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law, again graduating cum laude. Mr. Margulies was an articles editor for an international law journal. He is a member of the State Bars of California, Colorado, and Minnesota, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States District Court for the Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California. Mr. Margulies serves on the Executive Committee to the Bankruptcy Section to the Beverly Hills Bar Association, and is a member of the California Bankruptcy Forum, Los Angeles County Bar Association, and Financial Lawyers Conference.
Mr. Margulies regularly lectures on bankruptcy and insolvency issues, and was published in the Los Angeles Daily Journal for an article entitled “Debtor May Assign Executory Contracts or Unexpired Leases”, published on January 2, 2003.
Examples of Mr. Margulies’ experience includes:
• Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Estyle, Inc. (“Babystyle”) chapter 11 bankruptcy filed in the Central District of California;
• Representation of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Douglas Furniture of California,LLC. chapter 11 bankruptcy filed in the Central District of California;
• Representation of a very large body of Class Action creditors in the Bodies in Motion chapter 11 bankruptcy filed in the Central District of California, resulting in a successful resolution of multimillions in claims;
• Representation of Clarklift of California, Inc., a company specializing in the distribution, sale, service, rental and finance of equipment and trucks to the agricultural, construction, manufacturing, transportation and warehousing industries, as a Chapter 11 debtor and debtor in possession. Clarklift of California successfully reorganized under a confirmed Chapter 11 Plan;
• Representation of Hilton Hotels and Hilton Hawaiian Village to protect their claim in excess of $30 million in Dillingham Construction Co.’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy filed in Oakland, California;
• Representation of a Chapter 7 Trustees to uncover, recover and sell millions of dollars worth of assets for the benefit of unsecured creditors through complex litigation;
• Representation of landlords in Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases to enforce the provisions of their leases, in both asset sales and bankruptcy reorganizations;
• Representation of defendants in both large multi-million dollar and smaller tens of thousands of dollars preference and fraudulent transfer actions resulting in dismissals and/or large reductions in the claims;
• Representation of Optinetrics, Inc., an advanced photonics engineering company with an integrated optics technology platform for the fabrication of optical devices for communications, biotechnology, sensors and commercial electronics, as a Chapter 11 debtor and debtor in possession. The case culminated in a confirmed liquidating Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization, and Mr. Margulies then represented the Liquidating Trustee to assist the trustee in implementing the Plan provisions for the benefit of creditors; and
• Representation of Chapter 7 Trustees to successfully deny individuals of their Discharge under Section 727 of the Bankruptcy Code due to the debtors’ failures to disclose assets in bankruptcy schedules, or other bankruptcy violations.
• Represented hundreds of individuals and married couples to file personal/consumer bankruptcy cases resulting in a successful Discharge of their debts and a fresh start;
• Represented dozens of individuals to successfully resolve complex state court litigation (in which they were being sued) and/or debt collection matters for pennies on the dollar utilizing “the threat” of bankruptcy without actually having to file bankruptcy; and
• Represented an individual suing a chapter 7 debtor for the nondischargeability of a $150,000 debt obligation owing to her as a result of the debtor’s pre-bankruptcy acts of conversion resulting in a successful non-dischargeable trial verdict.
• Successful defense and dismissal in mutlimillion dollar nondischargeability litigation
* Insolvency, Restructuring & Reorganization
* Complex Bankruptcy (Debtor and Creditor Representation)
* Asset Sales & Purchases
* Bankruptcy Appellate Work
* Other Transactional and Insolvency Related Matters
* Business and Real Estate Litigation
University of Miami
School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1996
University of California at
B.A., cum laude, 1992
State Bar Memberships: